Friday 9 May 2014

Meet The Elite: Met Gala 2014

I'm probably a bit late on the Met Gala bandwagon this year, but with so many dresses/accessories/style queens to consider, I wanted to make sure the ones I picked as my favourites really were the best! As an event it's something I've always been vaguely aware of in previous years - big dresses, anyone who is anyone all under one roof, it's fairly hard to go unnoticed - but this year was the first where I've actively gone and found out about it a bit more!

Basically. for anybody who is new to the whole concept, it's a highly exclusive annual ball held in New York to raise funds for the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Art. With the organising committee headed by the one and only Anna Wintour, it is one of the hottest events for anything and anyone with a soft spot for fashion, as lavish ball gowns are unleashed, along with extravagant hairstyles and experimental beauty. This year's theme was 'Charles James', whom I was initially clueless about, but whom, after a wee bit of digging, it appears was the British designer responsible for creating wonderful ball gowns sculpted to fully flatter the female form. Indeed, I would say that many at this year's gala paid him great tributes, and he would have been very proud. Here are just a few of my favourites...


Suki Waterhouse - definitely the most beautiful dress of the night, in my opinion, in a "totally just wrapped myself in tutus and working it" kind of way...


Karlie Kloss, not one I've seen covered very much, but so so stunning, so I can't think why! (Ugh I feel like we should just bow down to her or something!)


Model Karolina Kurkova, stealing the show in this breathtaking ensemble, unusual, but in a totally amazing way!


Shoe designer Tabitha Simmons just made me want to live in a fairytale with this dress, with my own turreted castle and private rose garden (or something equally as cliche)...


Ooh Emma Stone, you go girl! She's always on point with her style if you ask me, and whilst I did think this was quite simple considering the occasion, I couldn't really fault it!

And for the couples?...


A clear first! I dare you to find me one girl who hasn't seen these pictures of Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds and just wanted to be her already! Old school glamour will never go out of style...


A close second in the couple stakes, just for sheer class, has to be Gisele Bundchen and Tom Brady, who showed that simplicity will always be in fashion!

On that note, I feel I can say that despite my insane jealousy, I have been thoroughly inspired. Admiring such outstanding designs only remind me why fashion matters! 
It's events like these, despite being extremely flashy and excessive, which can show the world once and for all that even when fashion isn't the most important thing in the news right now, when there's always something so much better or worse happening in the wider world, it's still something worth reporting and showing off-and enjoying! Whilst not everybody has the body to pull off a figure-hugging gown, or the cash to splash on a $25000 ticket for a one night event, there's no reason why we can't still revel in fashion and learn to build and love our own styles! If these people can go out in wild dresses and look drop dead gorgeous and inspiration, why shouldn't the rest of us have such fun too?!

In the words of the woman herself, Anna Wintour:

"Create your own style...let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others"

And we all know if Anna says it, it must be right in the eyes of fashion!

x


No comments:

Post a Comment